Friday, April 10, 2009

From the Archives


My wife, Sharon, hosts a Friday Flashback on her blog and embeds a great video from the 80's or 90's that puts to shame anything being recorded today (Except for Confuse the Cat, Interpol, Snowden, Department of Eagles.) Anyway, here's a painting I did as a junior or senior at Utah State almost 10 years ago. At the time I was experimenting with a gesso/joint compound application on canvas. Once the shapes were established (long live masking tape) I would dye the painting with different acrylic washes. This was one of my first successes. I used to make lots of these, but they chip really easily and you only get a couple of chances to get it right. I'm a major revisionist and love to fix, fix, fix so I moved on to other techniques. This is still one of my favorites.

No comments: